I live in Wall-e world.

One of the things that scared me the most about moving to the suburbs was that I wouldn't be able to walk anywhere ever again. I love walking. It's an opportunity to think, to see friends on the street, to find a great new store...

Anyway to try and find a compromise we chose a house which is walking distance to town, with actual sidewalks to get you there, but I've only done it once. Only once because since I was the only soul walking, I basically was like an alien to the drivers on the road so I risked being road kill about four times in the space of 10 minutes! I actually had to call my hubby to ask me to come and pick me up in the car! How humiliating! Needless to say to stay alive I drive to town.

But it gets worse. We live on a cul-de-sac where the kids can walk to the school bus stop. It's about 400 yards. In the morning my sons and I walk to the bus stop. In the afternoon we ride our bikes home just because the hill is fun. Well we are now the weirdos of the neighborhood because the other parents on our street, are you ready for this? Drive them to the bus stop. They drive their kids 400 yards and leave the motor running until the bus arrives!!!!!
As I was walking back from the bus stop this morning my neighbor stopped his car, rolled down his window and kindly said "you must be freezing, do you want a lift home?" I kindly declined and walked my 400 yards home.

Comments

  1. I'm dying laughing reading this because remember at GNP when I wanted to taxi EVERYWHERE? I got shamed by everyone there who was just like, WALK! Well, Whose the alien now! hee hee! Funny thing is, I have since evolved and love to walk now. But I'm sure if I move, I will become obsessed with driving once again. You'll see, you'll be driving soon enough! ; )

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would also rather walk. I feel trapped by having to use the car to go ANYWHERE. Except the bus stop, which is at the end of our road too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I see a sitcom here ...!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

No Matter Where

It's all in the planning