Taking comfort in the crowd

As you can imagine it's pretty quiet out here.
The first few days I found the silence actually pretty deafening.
It reinforced that feeling of isolation.
Little by little I met people and when women meet they talk. That thankfully crosses all borders!
The more I talk to women at my kids' schools or after-school activities, the more I realize that I'm just one person in a big big crowd. I'm just the latest arrival from the city.
As soon as I say I just moved from NYC, they tilt their heads and sweetly say "it's a big adjustment, isn't it?" or "I know it's not easy, but hang in there it gets better." It's quiet and isolated here but there is a huge crowd filled with ex-New Yorkers who have made it work.
Some of these women told me that they cried almost every day for months and then got used to it. Some of them still haven't recovered. I'm sure I'll be somewhere in the middle. In the mean time it's nice to take comfort in the knowledge that I'm just one of the crowd.

Comments

  1. 5 stars for being so proactive. Thanks for sharing.

    SB

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I live in Wall-e world.

No Matter Where

It's all in the planning