Snow Day

There is something especially brutal about having a snow day on a Monday.

After having spent a weekend with the kids, and really feeling the need for a little bit of me time, you hear that the kids are not only going to be home for another day but that chances are you will be stuck inside the whole day. So you wearily have to go from "get stuff done" mode to "how many indoor activities can I come up with to get us to dinner time."

Of course all of this gloom lifts when you see your kids faces light up as you announce that school has been canceled. All of a sudden everyone feels like they've been given a spontaneous holiday.

With no 7:20AM bus to catch the morning slowed down to a nice pace. Breakfast finished around 9:30. Then instead of trying to find something to do, the kids asked if they could go play outside in the snow with the neighbors. I got everyone into snow gear and stayed in my PJs. Yeap! that would never had happened in the city. I would have had to get dressed, dress the baby girl and drag all of the snow gear to the park. Here I just opened the door and let them run free.

Of course I kept an eye on them from my window but I didn't really hear from them again until lunchtime. They came running in to tell me they had been invited to lunch by our neighbor...sure why not, especially since I hadn't been aware of this storm and hadn't done any food shopping (I'm still working on the shopping for 2 months at a time thing, still can't think past tomorrow night's dinner).

Anyway when the boys came back from lunch it was to tell me that we were all going sleighing at the town park. So off we went for an hour of sleighing in a beautiful park (Trust me, I still cherish the memories of sleighing in Central Park with Gabriel).

When we came back the boys still wanted to play outside in the snow with their friends. At 4:00PM I made them come in. The day was done, they were beyond happy and tired. I was happy because I was setting off to class in NYC. We made it through our third snow day in CT and it was so much fun for everyone!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I live in Wall-e world.

No Matter Where

It's all in the planning