Moderation

Now that a year has passed, I'm no longer a true burb newbie.
At what point did that realize that? Yesterday I met a mother of an 18 month old boy who had just moved from NY to Westport. She told me of the challenges she was facing at adapting: missing walking, missing the visual stimulation of the city, regaining all of her bearings, wanting to stay in NYC after a day outing. Of course I thoroughly sympathized with her and remember feeling the exact same way. Truth be told some days I still feel that way. But what I told her was that eventually she would reach a place where the city was still a very important part of her life but that she would also embrace her new life enough to enjoy some of its aspects. Basically that slowly you see the positives of both instead of just the pain of not living in the city! I told her the honest truth: the more you hang on and resist this change the more pain you will feel!

Now, am I still plotting my way back to NYC? you bet! Do I blast "Empire State" by Jay-Z around the house and get the whole gang singing with me, because it's our family anthem? Absolutely! But while I'm here I'm trying to enjoy the good stuff and I regularly feed my soul with my trips to the city. I'll also be more than happy to help other women who are trying to adjust.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I live in Wall-e world.

No Matter Where

It's all in the planning