Global in the burbs

One of my biggest fears about moving to the burbs was that we would be immersed in an hyper American world. One of the advantages of living in New York City is that you're surrounded by people of different cultures and countries.

Our family is multicultural I was pretty scared that we wouldn't meet others like us.

Well I have good news for foreigners moving to the burbs!

In our street we have a Canadian family, a woman who lived in France for ten years, a Parisian family and a family who's half American half Venezuelan. One my son's soccer team we had kids from Sweden and South Africa. In my other son's class we have a girl from Belgium who just moved from Singapore. The huge benefit is that my kids are still exposed to other families who speak more than one language and who travel quite often outside of the U.S.

The best thing is that it's inspired me and my kids to start speaking three languages in our house again. I'd kind of slacked off and I felt really bad about it. So now the kids are hearing French in the house, at their friends house and we're starting a French playgroup.

I'm happy to report that moving to the burbs does not have to mean giving up on being global!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I live in Wall-e world.

No Matter Where

It's all in the planning