Reality Check

It's really hard for a city person to imagine suburban life. We have our stereotypes of course but we really don't know the half of it.

I've shared with you the fun of being in the burbs in the summer, by the beach.
Let me even it out and share what it's like in the winter.

1. Snow days are a constant not a novelty. The first year we were here, I wondered why school got cancelled with only a couple of inches on the ground. I can get my kids to school I thought! Yes, but the problem is that the school buses have to be cleaned and the teachers who sometimes live quite far away have to make it to school too! No teachers + no buses = no school.

2. You shovel your own driveway, no doorman is out there in the early morn throwing salt for you. And of course it's way harder than it looks and it has to be done a couple of times at least.  You could hire someone to do it for you but you'd better get on the waiting list pretty fast. Let me just say that I never ever appreciated the benefit of a two door garage before! Now I get it, if you can at least park your car inside you have that much less to shovel!

3. Got mail? If you don't shovel a path to your mailbox for the postman, you don't get your mail. Totally serious!

4. You need to shovel a path from the street to your fuel tank, if you want have fuel delivered.

5. You have to shovel a path to the garbage dumpster if you don't want to live with garbage pilling up in your garage.

6. You remember how bad the drivers are out here right? Well now it's a russian roulette as to whether I'll make it home alive because many streets are now just one lane and we have snow banks at every corner.

7. Just when you've finished shoveling the ground you look up and see massive icicles hanging from your roof. That means one thing, you need to beg and put your name on a waiting list for a crew to come and clear the snow and ice off your roof unless you want massive ceiling leaks.

Did the groundhog see his shadow? Don't tell me if it's bad news!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I live in Wall-e world.

No Matter Where

It's all in the planning